So the offer had been accepted on this little cabin in the woods. We were making plans on how to renovate it, but before we got too excited we needed the home inspection to be completed. My husband made the arrangements. Many phone calls were made lining everything up as we were back in our home province. Amazingly, though (thanks to very co-operative realtors and inspectors), everything seemed to be going smoothly and all the conditions of the contract would be met within the time frame required.
Inspection day comes. Everything goes according to plan with the realtor meeting the inspector. The inspector lets us know he will have the report completed and emailed to us in a couple of days.
In a couple of days the email containing the inspection arrives. It is very thorough…or should I say VERY THOROUGH.
Now we knew the place needed work. The first clue was that the bathroom walls were tiled in adhesive floor tiles, but really that is only a minor aesthetic issue. But getting down to the nitty gritty of the bones of the place, the inspector found three major problems. The first was the electrical aspect of the cabin had an issue, something to do with polarity, and definately something that needed to be fixed. The second was the plumbing, or shall we say “exposed plumbing” as in 20 feet of uninsulated pipe, bare to the elements of the great outdoors (…in Canada, not a good idea). The third was the deck, that was suspended about 20 feet over a steep hillside, was showing severe signs of rot.
We were’t completely scared off by the report, but we knew we needed to investigate the severity and cost of the issues. My husband started making phone call after phone call (he’s really good at this sort of thing), and he lined up the appropriate trades to go and look at the place.
The first to look at the cabin was the plumber. The verdict was the plumbing was exposed. We could “Mickey Mouse” some insulation to limp us through winter use, but it would not be a “winterized” cabin. Not the news I wanted to hear as we already had a seasonal cabin, plus the whole point of this adventure was to find a place to stay in winter so we could winter golf. We were going to have to think about the plumbing situation.
The second trade to look at the cabin were the deck builders. Repairing a deck at this height was a job for professionals in our opinion. They looked at the deck and got back to us. The verdict, it was a death trap. The supports were completely rotting out. It was a tear down. They told us to let the owner know it was dangerous for anyone to be out on the deck as it was completely unsafe. This was a little upsetting as our five children had been running around on this deck when we viewed the property; I felt sick with the thought of what could have happened. We received a quote for replacement of $7000 as a starting point.
The final trade to look at the cabin was the electrician. He took a good look at the place and got back to my husband. He told my husband that the wiring could be fixed, and gave him a price range. This was followed by “I don’t think the electrical in the cabin is a big deal, your real problem is your power pole is falling down and someone has tried to hold it up with a piece of rope!”
In our world a power pole being held up by a piece of rope is called a deal breaker. Maybe we are just fussy.
And so back to the drawing board we went.